Cecilia Vajda introduced the Kodály approach to Britain and her teaching has inspired a whole generation of teachers and musicians. The Cecilia Vajda Memorial Scholarship was set up in her memory, to give financial assistance to others who wish to study the Kodály philosophy.
To find out more about Cecilia Vajda please read her Biography
What will the scholarship pay for?
In 2017 the Cecilia Vajda Memorial Scholarship will pay the tuition fees for students attending the British Kodály Academy Summer School. The award will cover tuition costs for the full 10-day duration of this year’s extended Summer School. Each award applies only to the tuition costs. It excludes accommodation and meal costs and any optional extra fees, eg for individual singing or piano lessons.
Who can apply?
Any person resident in the UK may apply for the Scholarship in 2017.
Those who would benefit from the Cecilia Vajda Memorial Scholarship may include the following:
- Teachers who are starting out on their careers
- Teachers who are looking for a ‘next step’ in their Continuing Professional Development
- Class music teachers, instrumental teachers and non-specialist teachers needing inspiration
- Students interested in music education
This list is by no means exhaustive and we strongly encourage anyone to apply who feels that they have an interest in furthering their knowledge of Kodály and his philosophy. There may be only one application per person.
What is the process?
- Closing date for applications: Monday 3rd April 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will arrange a mutually convenient time for a Skype interview with the Chair of the CVMS Panel, Malcolm Hawkins, between 8th and 15th April 2017
- All candidates will be informed by e-mail of the result of their application during the week beginning 24th April 2017 (date corrected on 23/04/17)
The application form comes in two parts:
Personal details and information regarding your Kodály experience. Details of two referees who are willing to support your application are also requested.
A personal statement in support of your application. This may be about your reasons for applying or about any potential effects or benefits that the study will have.
Along with the application form you should also send a current C.V.
All applications will be considered by the Scholarship Panel, which will make recommendations to the Trustees of the BKA.
Download the application form here CVMS APPLICATION FORM 2017
The successful applicant
After the summer school, the successful applicant will be required to submit a second statement to the scholarship panel, supporting the personal statement made in the application, describing experiences at the Summer School and how they have benefited the applicant and his/her future work. This statement will be in the form of an article to be published in the British Kodály Academy newsletter.
Supporting the Cecilia Vajda Memorial Scholarship
We encourage sponsorship and donations in order to support the continuing work of the scholarship. If you feel that you would like to contribute in some way, please download our fundraising letter and donation form.
CVMS fundraising letter
CVMS donation form