Lifetime Achievement Award for David Vinden – The British Kodály Academy is delighted to announce that one of its long term members, David Vinden, has been awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in the Rhinegold Music Teacher Awards for Excellence.
Sing ARound – Sunday 4th March 2018 and Tuesday 6th March 2018
2017 saw the start of the special memorial year – 135 years of the birth of Zoltán Kodály and 50 years since his death. As we near the end of this special year the British Kodály Academy would like to organise Sing ARound events around the country – it would be great to have 50 events! Even better to have 135! Read more…
In a very exciting move for the BKA, this Tuesday, 28th November 2017, the BBC’s One Show will feature one of our members, and the great success he has had teaching music in a school in Bradford.
Jimmy Rotheram is the music coordinator in Feversham Primary School, an inner-city school, which was in special measures five years ago. Their success is down to one thing – the Kodály concept of music education. By giving all pupils access to this incredible way of teaching music, they have improved attendance, creativity, concentration and confidence, and produced some musicians of exceptional quality. Read More…
Memorial Plaque for Cecilia Vajda – Margaret Green describes the events of Thursday 28 April 2016
At 18:00, under a slightly grey London sky, about ninety people gathered on the pavement outside 105 Hallam Street, W1W 5LT, to witness the unveiling of a green plaque in honour of the Hungarian musician and teacher, Professor Cecilia Vajda.
- Lifetime Achievement Award for David Vinden - The British Kodály Academy is delighted to announce that one of its long term members, David Vinden, has been awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in the Rhinegold Music Teacher Awards More →
- First Thing Music - BKA Member Lindsay Ibbotson has been successful in gaining funding for “First Thing Music”, an exciting research project which will run during the school year 2018/19, jointly supported by The More →
- Sing ARound - Sing ARound – Sunday 4th March 2018 and Tuesday 6th March 2018 2017 saw the start of the special memorial year – 135 years of the birth of Zoltán More →
- Kodály on the BBC! - KODÁLY FEATURED ON BBC’S THE ONE SHOW Update: Watch again on BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gsfbb In a very exciting move for the BKA, this Tuesday, 28th November, the BBC’s One Show will feature one More →
- BKA Patron Bob Chilcott - The BKA are pleased to welcome the renowned composer and conductor Bob Chilcott as our new patron. The BKA commissioned Bob Chilcott to write a new choral piece for children More →
- BKA Residentials by Charlotte Brennan - At the BKA courses, you find yourself surrounded by people who love making music with others and want to learn more. People come from so many different musical backgrounds and More →
- Kodály Lightbulb Moments by Matt Brewster - My journey into the world of Kodály began because I had the chance to be a ‘stay-at-home Dad’ for the best part of a year. I had been taking my one-year-old son More →
- Sir Peter Maxwell Davies 1934 – 2016 - With deep sadness we report that Sir Peter Maxwell Davies died on Monday, 14 March. The BKA has been honoured to have him as one of our Patrons. Sir Peter was a More →
- BBC Radio 3 interview with Gilbert De Greeve - BBC Radio 3 interview with Gilbert De Greeve, then President of the International Kodály Society Interviewer: Ms. Rachel Hopkin In the following interview, Mr De Greeve addresses important questions and More →
- A Year in Kecskemét by Barbara Jenkinson - from BKA Newsletter, Summer 2004 I first visited Kecskemét over ten years ago, and although I had already heard of the Kodály Institute, after looking around it, I realised how much More →
- Reflections on a Year in Kecskemét by Kathy Hulme - from the BKA Newsletter, Summer 2004 I first studied Kodály musicianship with David and then Yuko Vinden in London. Although their teaching was of the highest quality I wanted to pursue More →
- Inspiration from Hungary by Liz Alexander - from the BKA Newsletter, Summer 2004 With the help and encouragement of Mary Place, I finally realised an eight year dream in February of this year, when I travelled to Hungary More →